Monday, March 14, 2016
Ice cream stand season is almost upon us! I love ice cream so much- for my birthday I almost always have ice cream instead of cake. Soon this sweet nectar of the gods will be all around us. Here is my list of the best places to grab a cone in the Bangor-area.
1. Gifford's: This is a Maine classic. Thankfully there are a number of stands throughout the state for those of you who do not live in Bangor. I honestly do not have a favorite because I like everything I have tried from them. Freckles loves them too!
2. Jimmie's Ice Cream and Grill: If you are looking for dinner as well as your dessert, this is the place to go. You cannot find a flavor menu online, but just ask what they have got chilling for the day.
3. Wild Cow Creamery: You can find their truck in the summertime next to the Bangor Waterfront. They use all natural ingredients and make their ice cream in their home kitchen. I am a sucker for chocolate, but they have been working on a ton of new flavors recently.
4. What's the Scoop: I have personally never been here (I am rarely on Union Street), but rumor has it that the ice cream (and sandwiches!) here are killer. They also have specialty ice cream desserts that include delicious monstrosities such as the Cookie Explosion or Grease Monkey.
5. Sweet Frog: For those of you who are a *little* more health conscious, let me recommend Sweet Frog's frozen yogurt. You pick your frozen yogurt and put on as many toppings as you like. You pay depending on the weight of your frozen yogurt. I love adding Cinnamon Toast Crunch and strawberries onto my froyo!
6. Specialty Sweets: If you need some gelato in your life, head over to Specialty Sweets next to the Christmas Tree Shoppe. I pretty much died when I tried their dark chocolate flavor. Their truffles are also delicious.
Saturday, March 5, 2016
|Image from the BDN.com|
Last night Christopher and I tried one of the newest restaurants in Downtown Bangor, Evenrood. It is in the circular building attached to the back of Paddy Murphy's. The restaurant had mixed reviews online, but we decided to give it a go anyway.
|Image from Evenrood's Facebook|
Christopher had a New York strip and a glass of cab while I had a gin and tonic and their special- a filet mignon with avocado fresca and chipotle sweet potatoes. We finished off our meal with their Guinness cheesecake. Everything was delicious. The service was a bit slow, but I would rather wait for a fantastic meal than receive a bad meal in a hurry. If you are looking for a new restaurant in Downtown Bangor, we would definitely recommend checking them out!