Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Summer-Inspired Dinner


Summer has finally hit in the state of Maine. I find myself craving fresh fruits and vegetables, a ton of ice cream and Mexican-inspired foods. Last night I tried my hand at a few new recipes and was really pleased with the results. Our dinner consisted of Margarita Chicken, Cilantro-Lime Rice and Homemade Mojitos. Enjoy!


Margarita Chicken- Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

Yields 4 Servings

Ingredients
  1. zest of 1 lime +  juice of 4 limes
  2. zest of 1 orange + juice of 2 oranges
  3. 1/4 cup tequila (I used rum because that is what I had on hand. Still delicious)
  4. 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  5. 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey (I opted for two teaspoons of sugar instead)
  6. 3 crushed garlic cloves (I used garlic scapes from the farmer's market)
  7. As much salt and pepper as your little heart desires
  8. 4 small chicken breasts 
Directions
  1. Combine ingredients from lime zest to salt and pepper in a large bowl or ziplock bag then mix well. Add chicken breasts then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours. (I would honestly let it marinate no more than two hours. Any longer and you might as well just eat a lime).  
  2. Grill or saute over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes a side, or until cooked through
Cilantro-Lime Rice- Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

Yields 4 Servings

Ingredients
  1. 1 cup long grain white rice
  2. 2 cups water
  3. 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil (I used olive oil because I am a rebel)
  4. 1/2 teaspoon salt (this is not super necessary)
  5. Juice of 1/2 lime
  6. 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro 
Directions
  1. Bring water, oil, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Add rice, place a lid on top, then turn heat down to medium-low and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir to fluff then add lime juice and chopped cilantro.
Homemade Mojitos- Adapted from Delightfully Tacky

Directions are for one drink. Add accordingly.

Ingredients
  1. 2 ounces light rum (or more. I won't judge)
  2. 12 mint leaves (or more. It's your life, you make it as minty as you want to)
  3. 0.5 ounces lime juice
  4. 1 tablespoon of simple syrup
  5. Crushed Ice
  6. Club soda
Directions
  1. In a highball glass, muddle 12 mint leaves with 1 tbsp simple syrup and .5 oz lime juice. Add 2 oz rum and nearly fill the glass with crushed ice. Finish the rest of the glass with club soda. Garnish with mint or lime if you are feeling fancy. I was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment