Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Old Brick Schoolhouse


Two weeks ago, I heard a rumor that there was an early-nineteenth century schoolhouse in Aurora, Maine. With my camera, husband, and dog in tow, I went searching for that school. Half an hour and two wrong turns later- we found it. The schoolhouse is closed during the winter, but we were still able to get a few pictures of it and the surrounding blueberry fields.



Aurora is a small town, but there are apparently quite a few buildings on the endangered list. The schoolhouse was built in 1827 and is the oldest standing brick building in Hancock county. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Most buildings were made of wood at the time, however one of the town founders had been educated in brick-laying in Connecticut. It is an incredibly unusual building considering the time period it was constructed in and the material it is made of.



I think getting out of town is good for the soul and I was thankful for this little jaunt. Perhaps I will get a proper tour in the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment