Monday, June 9, 2014

Meet Freckles


I have wanted a dog ever since I moved to Maine. Both Christopher and I have grown up with a variety of animals- dogs, cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, chickens, burros, horses, fish- you name it. Dogs are our favorites and we both missed the companionship and undying love that you can only really get from a pet.

The day before my birthday we visited the Bangor Humane Society. There was a gorgeous two year-old St. Bernard mix named Freckles in one of the kennels, growling at the passer-by's. Despite her growling, something told me that she was in fact a very sweet dog. I decided to sit on the ground and let her get used to my presence. I sat for about half an hour and she eventually stopped growling and approached me.

We absolutely fell in lover her while playing in the visitor room. Once she knew that she was in a safe place, she was sweet, cuddly, and eager to please. We wanted to adopt her right then and there, but knew we needed to talk about it first.


When we got home we realized it was simply not financially feasible for us to adopt her. We are getting married in October and will be doing quite a bit of traveling this summer. We decided to save up the money and return to the Humane Society in December. We were both absolutely devastated and I did a good bit of crying that night, but we felt that it was the right decision.

The next day was my birthday. My mom called me from California to wish me a happy birthday. We talked about this and that and then I mentioned how we had fallen in love with Freckles, but decided to wait. When we hung up, I had no idea what was going to happen next.


My mom and Christopher conspired to give me the best birthday present ever. They adopted Freckles while I was out and about. When I went to pick Christopher up from work, Freckles was sitting inside of his boss' car. I was completely shocked. I cried again, this time from happiness and the overwhelming sense of how much my family loves me.


Freckles is the perfect dog for our little family. She is intelligent, affectionate and incredibly lovable. She is up for anything, whether it is a hike, an ice cream field trip, or simply cuddling on the couch. I never knew it was possible to love another creature in this way so much. I am so incredibly thankful to my family and the Bangor Humane Society for giving me this wonderful companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment