Monday, November 5, 2012

After the Storm

The state of Maine is incredibly fortunate to not have been hit particularly hard by Hurricane Sandy. A few thunderstorms, a few blackouts- thankfully nothing significant.  My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by the storm. If you are able, please donate something to aid those in need. The bookstore I work at is currently working with the Salvation Army to gather donations, but there are other amazing organizations such as the Red Cross asking for donations and volunteers.


After the storm ran through Maine, Christopher and I were a little stir-crazy. We went on a short walk through Prentiss Woods, a small forest that is about a mile away from our house. Prentiss Woods differs a little from Essex Woods. It is significantly darker and quieter. Whenever we laughed, I felt as if the sound tore through the forest. Perhaps there were some angry Ents lurking in the darkness.

The one lone color-turning tree

The forest was filled with pine trees, mushrooms and small streams. The smell of the pine trees was wonderful and reminded me a little of places like Lake Arrowhead back home.

In the spirit of LOTR, "Mushrooms!"

Speaking of pine trees, can you believe that Christmas merchandise and advertisements are already out? Christopher and I’s motto this year is “Give Thanksgiving a Chance”! I absolutely refuse to do anything Christmas-related until December 1st hits. Take that Starbucks peppermint mochas and Target decorations and ornaments! You cannot ensnare me!

I hope everyone affected by the storm is safe and dry! Good luck and God Bless!





No comments:

Post a Comment